27 Maoists surrender in Jharkhand

Security agencies have secured the surrender of 27 Naxals in what is being described as the largest mass surrender of insurgents in Jharkhand since its formation in 2000. The surrendered cadre includes 25 members of the banned CPI (Maoist) and two operatives of the Jharkhand Jan Mukti Parishad (JJMP). Several among them carried cumulative rewards amounting to Rs 33 lakh.
Speaking on the occasion, DGP, Jharkhand, Tadasha Mishra said the day was historic and unforgettable for both the Jharkhand Police and the entire State. She said the surrendered cadres, who had strayed from the mainstream, were now being welcomed back into society. While describing it as a moment of happiness and hope, she also paid tribute to the security personnel who sacrificed their lives during anti-Naxal operations.
Welcoming the 27 surrendered Naxalites and their families, the DGP assured them that the Jharkhand Police would continue to support and care for them. She said all benefits and assistance promised under the Government's rehabilitation policy would be provided in a systematic and well-planned manner.
The surrender took place during a special ceremony held on Thursday morning at the Jharkhand Police Headquarters in Ranchi. According to officials, the success was achieved through a coordinated strategy involving the Jharkhand Police, CRPF and intelligence units. Sources said more than two dozen Maoists active in the Saranda region had been attempting to flee the forests over the past month, after which security agencies facilitated their safe exit and surrender.
Prominent Maoist leaders among the surrendered cadre include Gadi Munda alias Gulshan, Nagendra Munda alias Prabhat Munda, Rekha Munda alias Jayanti, Sagen Angaria alias Dokol, Karan Tiyu, Darshan alias Binj Hansda, Suleman Hansda and Basumati Jerai. Several of them carried rewards of up to Rs 5 lakh each.
Two JJMP members, Sachin Baik and Shravan Gop, also surrendered before the authorities. Sachin Baik carried a reward of Rs 5 lakh and was wanted in multiple cases registered in the Gumla district.
The surrendered extremists also handed over a large cache of arms and ammunition to the police. The recovered weapons include one Light Machine Gun (LMG), five INSAS rifles, nine Self-Loading Rifles (SLRs), one bolt-action rifle, one pistol, 31 magazines and nearly 3,000 live cartridges.
Among those who surrendered are seven zonal commanders, seven area commanders and 13 active cadres. Police records show that a total of 426 cases related to Maoist activities have been registered against them.
Security agencies said the development reflects the weakening influence of Left-Wing Extremism in Jharkhand. Officials attributed the success to sustained anti-Naxal operations and the government's rehabilitation policy, which has encouraged several insurgents to return to the mainstream.
Jharkhand is fighting Naxalites, or CPI (Maoist) insurgents, through both security measures and development programs. The state's goal is to end left-wing extremism. Maoists once controlled 13 districts, but their influence has dropped. Now, Maoist activity is mostly limited to small areas in West Singhbhum.















