67 killed in monsoon-related disasters in Nepal in last two months

At least 67 people have died in various monsoon-related incidents in the last two months, the Nepal’s disaster relief authority said on Monday, August 17.
The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Authority (NDRRMA) said that 67 people were killed, eight went missing, and 121 others injured in 1,373 incidents reported between June 19 to August 17.
At least 1,604 families were directly affected, according to the authority. Last year, 43 people were killed, 19 missing, and 116 others injured in 571 incidents during the same period, the NDRRMA said.
Dharma Raj Upreti, CEO of the NDRRMA, said this year, the monsoon started on June 19 and is expected to last for another month and two weeks.
In the latest monsoon-related incidents, four people were killed and 10 others injured in Risyang village of Jajarkot district in a landslide on August 15.
Four people were killed in Falwang village of Rolpa district on August 13 and 14. At least 12 people died while two others were injured and one missing in Thawang village of Rolpa district on August 12.
Nepal Army has kept four helicopters on standby for rescue and relief operations, Rupreti said.
Around 26,000 security personnel and technical experts, including 7,524 Nepal Army personnel, are being kept ready for deployment, he added.









