Meghalaya traffic blockade continues for third day; talks planned in Guwahati

For the third consecutive day on Saturday, road traffic heading into Meghalaya stayed cut off after taxi drivers from Guwahati shut down several entry routes into the hill state, in protest against alleged assaults on Assam residents during a students' rally held recently in Shillong.
An inter-state meeting at the ministerial level is planned in Guwahati later in the day, aimed at finding a solution to the impasse, even as vehicles coming from Assam continue to be stopped from crossing into Meghalaya.
The Assam State Drivers' Union, one of the groups spearheading the stir, said the blockade has now been expanded to cover the Rani, Boko, Hahim and Lampi Road entry points as well.
This expansion followed an advisory from the Meghalaya government suggesting these routes as alternatives for travellers.
The cab operators had already been blockading traffic at Jorabat and Khanapara areas, which serve as the main entry points to Meghalaya to reach its capital Shillong. "We will continue with our protest till a lasting solution is worked out. Some half-way measures will not be accepted," a taxi driver said at Jorabat.
The protesters further alleged that no attempt had been made by the government to engage with them, and said they were skeptical about what the upcoming ministerial talks would actually achieve. That said, they clarified that vehicles carrying essential goods and services were not being obstructed.
Throwing its weight behind the protest, the North East Petroleum Mazdoor Union announced it would halt all loading and unloading of goods meant for Meghalaya indefinitely, until the situation calms down.
Assam's Border Protection and Development Minister, Atul Bora, is scheduled to meet Meghalaya's Deputy Chief Minister S Dhar in Guwahati, with the two leaders entrusted by the respective governments to negotiate over the issue, official sources said.
In remarks to reporters on Friday, Bora said the Assam government remained in contact with Meghalaya's administration to safeguard the interests of Assam residents currently stuck in the state.
To assist affected people, Assam Police have set up two helplines — 9181014888 on WhatsApp and 03612381511 as a landline number — for those from Assam who are either stranded in Meghalaya or struggling with travel.
The trouble traces back to violence during a motorcycle rally organised by the Khasi Students' Union (KSU) in Shillong on August 19, during which — as per Meghalaya Police — at least 31 vehicles, some belonging to Assam residents, were damaged, 16 people were hurt, and two vehicles were torched.
In the wake of that incident, commercial vehicle operators in Guwahati began blocking the Jorabat and Khanapara routes into Meghalaya starting Thursday. (with inputs from PTI)















