Hisar dairy operator cremated 14 days after murder as Haryana govt accepts family's demands

The last rites of a Hisar-based dairy operator were performed on Tuesday, 14 days after his murder, after the Haryana government agreed to demands raised by his family and supporters, officials said.
Jeevan Kundu, 26, a resident of Surya Nagar, was attacked on August 4 by a group of 10-12 men and later died during treatment at a hospital. His family and supporters had been demanding the arrest of all those involved in the attack.
Members of farmer bodies and Kundu's supporters had clashed with police on August 15 after being prevented from marching to an Independence Day function in Hansi, attended by Chief Minister Nayab Singh Saini, where they intended to press for the arrest of the main accused.
Following the clash, a mahapanchayat in Hisar authorised a five-member committee to hold talks with the state government.
Kundu's last rites were performed in Kinala village, with his 11-year-old son, Rishu, lighting the funeral pyre as hundreds of villagers attended the cremation. Tributes were paid by representatives from Khaps, farmers' unions, employee associations, the Samyukt Kisan Morcha (Hisar), and the All India Kisan Sabha (Haryana).
The standoff ended on Monday after the state government agreed to the protesters' main demands, according to sources. These included withdrawal of criminal cases registered in Hansi on August 15 against the supporters, resulting in the release of all 10 arrested farmer activists, a government job for one member of Kundu's family, and financial assistance. An assurance was also given regarding the arrest of the prime accused in the murder case.
Opposition parties and the Samyukt Kisan Morcha had earlier condemned the police lathicharge on protesters, who were demanding action against the main accused in Kundu's murder.
The murder occurred when Kundu was out towing a trolley with his motorcycle and was surrounded by a group of about 10-12 youths from the neighbourhood, police had said. The assailants allegedly beat him with sticks and clubs, leaving him unconscious.
While nine suspects have been arrested, protesters alleged that the main accused, identified as Ramesh, remained absconding. A reward of Rs 50,000 has been announced for information leading to his arrest.
(Inputs from PTI)















