Travis Head provides the fireworks as Australia outclasses new-look England in opening T20

| | Southampton (England)

Travis Head provides the fireworks as Australia outclasses new-look England in opening T20

Thursday, 12 September 2024 | AP | Southampton (England)

A new era for England's white-ball teams got off to a shaky start with a 28-run loss to Australia on Wednesday in the first of three T20 matches between the fierce cricket rivals.

Australia was put into bat and dismissed for 179 with three balls remaining — an under-par score at the Utilita Bowl in Southampton given the team smashed 86 off the powerplay and was 118-2 after 10 overs. Travis Head hit a 19-ball fifty in his knock of 59, which included eight fours and four sixes, to get the Australians off to a rapid start.

England, with a batting lineup missing injured captain Jos Buttler and including uncapped Jordan Cox and Jacob Bethell, stumbled to 52-4. After Liam Livingstone (37) and Sam Curran (18) threatened a fightback with a 54-run partnership for the fifth wicket, England lost three wickets in 10 balls to plunge to 113-7 and was eventually all out for 151 with four balls left.

The other matches in the T20 series are in Cardiff on Friday and Manchester on Sunday. Then comes a five-match ODI series between the teams, where Buttler — England's white-ball talisman — may return from his right calf injury that will cause him to miss the T20s.

With the 30-year-old Jamie Overton also selected for the first time, England's lineup included three uncapped players as well as a stand-in captain in Phil Salt. The English are looking to the future after underwhelming defenses of their 50-over and T20 World Cup titles over the past year, so have overhauled the team and gotten rid of senior players such as Jonny Bairstow, Moeen Ali and Dawid Malan — the latter two having since retired from international cricket.

Australia's more-established team had too much for the hosts, with the 86-run opening partnership between Matthew Short (41 off 26 balls) and Head building an excellent platform.

Head crashed 30 runs off the first over bowled by Curran, who quickly disappeared from England attack.

“I'd love to go out and whack it every time,” said Head, who was Australia's star in its victory in last year's 50-over World Cup final. “I know that's not going to be the case every time, but I'm in a nice bit of form at the moment and I want to continue that. I'm taking my chances.”

It took the arrival of spinners Adil Rashid and Livingstone to slow the run-rate, and Australia started to quickly lose wickets — with the last eight departing for 61.

In the chase, the 23-year-old Cox was out for an unconvincing 17 off 12 balls and the 20-year-old Bethell managed only 2. Overton was also in the top seven of an inexperienced and fragile batting lineup, and made 15.

Australia's fielding was brilliant, with Tim David's catch — on the dive after turning round and running into the leg side — to remove Cox particularly standing out.

“Heady came out swinging in the powerplay and gave them a head start but we dragged it back quite nicely in the middle,” Salt said.

“He can do that,” he added about Head. “He's done that all over the place for a couple of years now .

State Editions

CM unveils Forest Martyrs memorial in Raipur

12 September 2024 | Staff Reporter | Raipur

Cong delegation to meet Governor today

Rs 15 lakh ex-gratia to kin of factory accident victims

Statewide checkup of children below-6 yr from today

Two children with hearing impairment get renewed life

Sunday Edition

India’s tourism boom: A journey beyond the icons

08 September 2024 | Pioneer | Agenda

Unveiling the future of India’s hospitality and tourism industry

08 September 2024 | Kumar Chellappan | Agenda

Celebrate The Spirit Of Onam With Sadhya Rooted In Tradition

08 September 2024 | Sharmila Chand | Agenda

A Fusion of Luxury, Tradition and Culinary Excellence

08 September 2024 | SAKSHI PRIYA | Agenda

Canvas of Heritage and Contemporary Expression

08 September 2024 | SAKSHI PRIYA | Agenda

Thetuningfork | Behave like a child when Nature is your Mother …

08 September 2024 | C V Srikanth | Agenda