Death toll from CAR gold mine collapse rises above 100

The death toll from a gold mine collapse in western Central African Republic has risen to more than 100, a Red Cross volunteer involved in relief efforts and a local official said on Wednesday, Aug 19.
The low-tech, artisanal gold mine collapsed on Tuesday morning in the village of Zamboye, in the Nana-Mambéré prefecture, near the border with Cameroon.
Gervais Ganagoroh, a local Red Cross volunteer involved in relief efforts, said more than 100 bodies had been recovered so far, while several survivors were critically injured.
Bertrand Be Yangué, a member of the Zamboye youth council, also said the death toll was more than 100, adding it was likely to rise, as several people remained missing and others trapped under the rubble.
"Finding them alive would be a miracle," Yangué said. "We are saddened and heartbroken to see young men and women perish after coming to the mines to save their families from despair," he added.
(With inputs from PTI)









