HC steps in as JPSC row deepens

Amid the turmoil caused by the Jharkhand Government’s August 18 late-night decision to cancel 22 recruitment examinations, relief has arrived from the Jharkhand High Court for several successful candidates. The court on Thursday stayed the State Government’s order cancelling the appointment of candidates recruited through the 11th to 13th JPSC Civil Services Examinations and the Food Safety Officer (FSO) examination until further orders.
The court of Justice Deepak Roshan directed that the selected candidates be reinstated to work. During the hearing, the single-judge bench Justice Deepak Roshan orally remarked that the State Government itself is having the matter investigated by the CID. Therefore, no one can be permanently removed from service without observing the principles of natural justice. The court sought a response from the State Government by September 15.
The Government argued that the CID investigation revealed irregularities in 40 per cent of the cases so far, and further investigation is ongoing. Upon hearing the Government’s claim, the court observed that 60 per cent cannot be punished for the mistake of 40 per cent, and suggested taking cases of irregularities found during the investigation to a fast-track court.
The court also asked whether a regular appointment could be cancelled merely by issuing an order or not. The court also orally observed that many police officers and deputy collectors who were appointed based on 11 to 13th JPSC examination serving as magistrates were deployed to manage the Shravani Mela in Deoghar, but the termination of their services caused inconvenience to the general public there.
Advocates Indrajit Sinha, Amritansh Vats, Prerna Jhunjhunwala, and PAS Pati presented arguments on behalf of the petitioners.
Representing petitioners advocate Amritansh Vats said, “11th to 13th JPSC and Food Safety Officer matters were before the court. Hearing the matter, the court found prima facie that the order is wrong. The court has stayed the order for now.”
Sonam Kumari and Deepmala had challenged the cancellation of the 11th to 13th JPSC results, while Saurav Singh challenged the decision related to the Food Safety Officer recruitment.
Kumari stated in her petition that she joined the position after leaving a job elsewhere. She received her appointment letter on November 24, 2025, and completed training. In the interim, the Government issued a notification on August 18 cancelling the appointments. The petitioner requested the court to quash the cancellation order.
Based on findings from the CID probe, the State Government announced late on August 18 the cancellation of all examinations involving TDPL—the agency which conducted the examination. Additionally, an investigation was announced regarding potential irregularities in all recruitment exams held since 2014.
JMM MP Mahua Maji said, “In the initial talks with students, CM had accepted several of their demands. He did not want to accept one due to this apprehension - that exactly this could happen, it would have appeared that injustice was being done to some others. Perhaps he had this apprehension. And maybe that is why there was a delay (in decision-making). But there was so much pressure and a few people were doing politics over this; they were not trying to understand things. It is true that those who are already in service might have felt injustice being done. Let’s see what happens now...”















