Govt sharpens Gen-Z outreach on social media

Prime Minister Narendra Modi is leading from the front to reach out to the citizens, especially Gen-Z of late through social media platforms.
This fact emerged during the Union Cabinet meeting on Wednesday which focused on ranking the ministers for effectively using social media to propagate their various schemes.
Importantly, the report was not limited to comparing Cabinet ministers with one another. The ranking was prepared based on the traction received by their social media content across all platforms, taking into account leaders ranging from the country’s top political figures to grassroots-level leaders.
Sources said the assessment covered activity across Instagram, X and Facebook between May 1 and August 15, 2026. The exercise was intended to assess the quality and reach of ministers’ digital communication rather than simply compare their follower counts.
Apparently taken by surprise by the Jantar Mantar protest last month , PM Modi has ramped up efforts to appeal to the GenZ with ministers told to step up efforts to ensure their messages reach a wider audience, particularly the youth. Sources said performance data on the social media accounts of Cabinet ministers was shared at the meeting chaired by PM Modi, with the PM topping the list. The reach of ministers’ posts was discussed at the meeting, where it was stressed that greater efforts should be made to ensure their messages reach a wider audience, especially young people.
According to sources, the overall rankings and performance assessment considered using metrices such as daily average posts, total engagement, average engagement per post, total likes, average likes, and the overall level of interaction generated by each minister across all three platforms.
According to sources, overall social media traction of political leaders was also considered as a comparison. The methodology also considered the traction generated by political leaders across the spectrum, from senior national leaders to grassroots-level figures, across major social media platforms.
PM Modi himself has reached out to students through social media on multiple occasions in the wake of protests against alleged NEET paper leaks in different parts of the country. In his Independence Day address, the prime minister also announced a slew of youth-centric initiatives, including free online coaching, an AI skilling programme, a sports talent hunt and an expansion of the civil defence network. He also highlighted opportunities for young people in sectors ranging from manufacturing, space and nuclear energy to semiconductors.
Further, in a bid to reach out Gen Z, it was decided to launch a nationwide outreach programme aimed at engaging with young people and understanding the concerns of students. Under the proposed “One Day, One University” initiative, Union ministers will visit universities across the country and interact directly with students. During these visits, ministers are expected to discuss issues affecting young people and explain Government schemes related to education, employment and other areas of youth development.
The scale of the proposed outreach is significant. Data from the University Grants Commission shows that India has around 1,300 universities. These include 57 central universities and 522 state universities, while the remaining institutions are either deemed-to-be universities or private universities.
Protests and criticism surrounding the NEET examination, along with allegations related to question-paper leaks, have added to concerns among students and their families. Against this backdrop, the Government’s outreach effort is expected to give ministers an opportunity to hear students’ views directly. The protests have also become a political issue, with opposition parties raising the matter in Parliament.
Sources said Education Minister Pralhad Joshi and Union Youth Affairs and Sports Minister Mansukh Mandaviya have been tasked with coordinating the programme with universities and other Union ministers. The initiative was also discussed at the Union Cabinet meeting chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday, the sources said.
The initiative could therefore become a platform for dialogue between the Government and young people.
For the outreach to have a lasting impact, however, students’ concerns will need to be heard and addressed alongside the Government’s efforts to communicate its policies.
The proposed programme is intended to combine direct engagement with students and an explanation of Government measures on issues linked to youth development.















