Meghalaya Govt forms SIT to probe Shillong violence, identify culprits

The Meghalaya Government on Saturday said a Special Investigation Team (SIT) has been constituted to probe, identify and prosecute those involved in the August 19 violence, in which 16 people were injured, two vehicles were set ablaze and around 31 vehicles were damaged, officials said. This was informed during a high-level meeting between Assam and Meghalaya officials in Guwahati on Saturday. Rapid Action Force (RAF) of CRPF is deployed in tensed areas to maintain law and order, said Police.
Meghalaya Government also said five masked men involved in the violence and random attacks on Assam-registered tourist vehicles have so far been identified.
Police had registered 15 FIRs in connection with the violence and arrested three senior leaders of the Khasi Students’ Union (KSU) — president Raymond Kharjana, vice-president Pynkmenlang Sanmiet and general secretary Reuben Najiar.
The three leaders were arrested on the night of August 19 following the KSU’s black-flag motorcycle rally, during which incidents of stone-pelting, assaults, vandalism and arson were reported at different locations in Shillong. They were subsequently sent to judicial custody.
The Government said the SIT would identify other persons involved in the violence, particularly those responsible for attacks on Assam-registered vehicles, and ensure their prosecution in accordance with law.
Several private vehicles were attacked during the KSU-sponsored rally seeking the state Government’s attention on various issues, which include the cancellation of the public hearing of Shree Cement Ltd in remote Daistong village in East Jaintia Hills district.
More than 3,770 Assam-registered vehicles have already been safely escorted out of Meghalaya into Assam, officials said.
The violence has triggered tensions between the two neighbouring states, with traffic movement between Assam and Meghalaya disrupted following protests and blockades at Jorabat.
The high-level meeting in Guwahati was held to discuss the prevailing situation and measures to restore normal movement and strengthen coordination between the two States.
Meanwhile, traffic movement to Meghalaya from Assam remained disrupted for the third day on Saturday as taxi drivers of Guwahati blocked multiple entry points to the hill State, protesting alleged attacks on Assam residents during a recent students’ rally in Shillong.
An inter-state ministerial-level meeting is scheduled to be held at Guwahati during the day to find a solution to the impasse, with vehicles from Assam also being restricted from entering Meghalaya.
The Assam State Drivers’ Union, among the cab-operators’ and drivers’ bodies leading the agitation, said it has extended its blockade of Meghalaya-bound traffic to the entry points of Rani, Boko, Hahim and Lampi Road.
The move comes after the Meghalaya Government issued an advisory for travellers to use these alternative routes.
The cab operators had already been blockading traffic at Jorabat and Khanapara areas, which serve as the main entry points to Meghalaya to reach its Capital, Shillong.















