Delhi started issuing new ration cards from May 15: CM

Delhi Chief Minister Rekha Gupta on Thursday announced that the large-scale issuance of new ration cards has resumed from May 15, ending a 13-year gap.
The Chief Minister said that the Delhi Government has cancelled more than seven lakh ration cards so far and is considering a hike in the income limit from Rs 1.20 lakh to Rs 2.5 lakh per annum for ration card eligibility in the national Capital.
Addressing a press conference, the Chief Minister said the hike is aimed at benefiting the maximum number of needy people. The hike decision will be approved in the next cabinet meeting, she added. At present, the income criterion to become eligible for a ration card in Delhi is capped at Rs 1.20 lakh per annum.
The chief minister urged all eligible families to apply. Online applications for new ration cards and adding family members will be available on the e-District portal from May 15, 2026. Previously submitted applications have been returned to applicants through their login profiles. Applicants can update and resubmit these with a valid income certificate and required documents.
After taking office, the government audited the public distribution system and found significant irregularities. A total of 7,71,384 ineligible beneficiaries were identified. Of these, 6,46,123 were above the income limit, 95,682 had not collected ration for over a year, 6,185 were deceased but still listed, and 23,394 were receiving benefits from multiple locations. Removing these ineligible names has created nearly 7.72 lakh vacancies for new beneficiaries. So far, 3,72,367 people have applied for new ration cards, and 99,501 have applied to add family members. Since eligibility details may have changed, all applicants will be asked to reapply under the updated norms.
The Delhi Government has implemented the Delhi Food Security Rules, 2026, to enforce the National Food Security Act, 2013.
Ration distribution has been modernised through the use of electronic weighing machines and mandatory biometric authentication at fair-price shops. Ration will only be distributed after biometric verification to prevent under-weighing and reduce leakages.
Ration card services, including new applications and family member updates, are now online. Citizens can apply from home or at facilitation centres. These steps aim to increase transparency and accountability and to ensure that only eligible households receive food security benefits.
Earlier, officials accepted family income details primarily through self-declarations, allowing ineligible individuals to enter the system and excluding genuine beneficiaries. Now, applicants must submit Aadhaar cards, proof of residence, the latest income certificate, and Aadhaar details for all family members. This change aims to ensure accurate verification and prevent misuse.
To curb corruption and irregularities, the government has implemented a robust digital and administrative verification mechanism. In the first stage, to address corruption and irregularities, the government has set up a digital and administrative verification process. Food and supply officers first review applications and documents and conduct field checks if needed. The assistant commissioner then examines verified applications.
A district-level committee led by the district magistrate and two local MLAs makes the final decision. Approved ration cards are generated digitally and can be downloaded from the portal. These are sent to government offices. “This is not merely an administrative reform. It is our commitment to ensuring food security and a life of dignity for every needy family in Delhi,” she said.
The chief minister said the annual family income eligibility limit for ration cards has already been increased. The annual family income eligibility limit for ration cards has been raised from Rs 1 lakh to Rs 1.20 lakh under the Delhi Food Security Rules, 2026, to include more poor and middle-class families. The Government is considering increasing the limit further to Rs 2.50 lakh, with Cabinet discussions ongoing and a decision expected soon.
“For 13 years, the rights of Delhi’s poor remained effectively locked away. Previous governments turned the ration system into a vehicle for politics and corruption. The process of issuing new ration cards had virtually come to a standstill-this deprived lakhs of deserving families of their rightful benefits. Our government is committed to replacing that system with a transparent and people-centric mechanism. Every eligible person should now receive their entitlement with dignity,” the chief minister said.















