The Pioneer
BREAKING NEWS
No breaking news
August 20, 2026

Assam, Meghalaya CMs join hands as high court cracks down on Shillong violence

By Bishnu J
Assam, Meghalaya CMs join hands as high court cracks down on Shillong violence

Meghalaya chief minister Conrad K Sangma and his Assam counterpart Himanta Biswa Sarma held talks on Thursday over the violence that broke out in Shillong on August 19, agreeing that the two states will work together to restore peace and normalcy, even as the Meghalaya High Court directed authorities to move swiftly against those involved.

The unrest erupted during a bike rally organised by the Khasi Students' Union, during which at least 31 vehicles, including several registered in Assam, were damaged, 16 people were injured and two vehicles set on fire, East Khasi Hills superintendent of police Vivek Syiem said.

Sangma said on X that he had spoken with Sarma about the violence and the reactions that followed, which he said had affected common people and commuters in both states. He said the two governments had agreed to work together, as they usually do, to normalise the situation, and that designated cabinet ministers from both states would meet to take the discussions forward and explore ways to restore peace and trust.

Sarma, in his own post, said he had conveyed Assam's concern over the incidents, particularly those involving Assam registered vehicles, and had asked minister for border protection Atul Bora to coordinate closely with Meghalaya authorities to help restore normalcy between the two states.

Separately, the Meghalaya High Court took suo motu cognisance of the violence and directed authorities to take prompt and effective steps to identify and apprehend those responsible. A division bench of Justice H S Thangkhiew and Justice W Diengdoh, hearing the matter, described the incidents as a serious concern, noting that the violence had damaged government, police and commercial vehicles and had allegedly endangered residents, including schoolchildren. The advocate general briefed the court on the steps taken so far, including the arrest of some KSU members, and the court has sought a detailed report on further action by August 24, when the matter will next be heard.

Three senior KSU leaders, president Raymond Kharjana, vice president Pynkmenlang Sanmiet and general secretary Reuben Najiar, have already been arrested and remanded to 14 days' judicial custody in connection with the violence.

Security has since been stepped up in Shillong and along the Meghalaya-Assam border as both states work to contain the fallout from the unrest.

(With inputs from PTI)

0 Comments

Leave a Comment