The Pioneer
BREAKING NEWS
No breaking news
August 20, 2026

22A row: BRS sets up legal cell as property owners cry foul in Telangana

By Mithun MK
22A row: BRS sets up legal cell as property owners cry foul in Telangana

The BRS has set up a legal cell at Telangana Bhavan to provide free legal assistance to those affected by their properties being placed in the 22A prohibited list. The move comes a day after hundreds of people affected by properties placed in the 22A prohibited list and restrictions imposed in the name of Urban Land Ceiling (ULC) gathered at Telangana Bhavan on Wednesday, Aug 19. 

Those who had gathered at the BRS office had sought relief from what they called arbitrary decisions of the Congress government.

The victims met former ministers and BRSLP deputy leaders T Harish Rao and P Sabitha Indra Reddy and narrated how they were unable to sell, register or access the value of properties purchased with valid documents.

The BRS has set up a legal cell at Telangana Bhavan to provide free legal assistance to those affected. Harish Rao announced a panel of 10 advocates led by advocate Kalyan.

He demanded immediate removal of wrongly included properties from the prohibited list and action against officials. He also sought removal of Revenue Minister Ponguleti Srinivas Reddy from the Cabinet.

Harish Rao warned that the BRS would mobilise victims for a protest at the Chief Minister's residence if the government failed to respond within a day or two.

Following the meeting, Harish Rao assured the victims that the BRS would stand by them and urged them not to sell properties at distress prices or pay commissions to get restrictions removed.

"Properties in approved layouts and houses purchased decades ago are being brought under 22A restrictions. The government itself is allowing the system to be exploited for commissions and settlements," he said.

Rao also suspected a major conspiracy behind the inclusion of even approved layouts and apartments in the prohibited list.

Mohan Reddy, one of the victims, said he had booked a registration slot and paid the entire stamp duty but was told on the day of registration that his property had been included in the 22A list. "If the government itself makes us homeless, who will hear our pain?" he asked.

Rajesh, another victim, said he bought a house in 2017 with a bank loan but decided to sell it after losing his job and starting a business. When he went for registration on July 1, he was informed that the property was in the 22A list. Despite applying at the MRO office two months ago, he said there had been no resolution.

He had already taken money from the prospective buyer, who was paying the loan EMI after the bank approved the loan transfer. The sale could not be registered.

Devender Rao, secretary of the HMT Housing Colony Society, said the layout received approval in 1995 and hundreds of houses had been built. Survey number 330 was recently included in the 22A list. A representation submitted to Minister Ponguleti Srinivas Reddy in July had yielded no relief.

"Normal employees and middle-class families are left with no option but to commit suicide," he said.

Residents of B N Nagar and Uppal said registrations in their colony, which has over 1,500 houses, took place without problems earlier but were now being blocked citing ULC restrictions.

Srinivas of Ameenpur said he purchased his property 10 years ago with clear documents and a bank loan. After paying stamp duty to sell it, he was told it had been included in the prohibited list.

Some victims alleged that restrictions were being used for commissions and settlements by officials and Congress leaders. They said entire colonies were being listed in the 22A list based on survey numbers, without valid reasons.

Harish Rao cited specific cases. He said 30 acres in survey numbers 282, 283 and 284 in Budvel were cleared from the 22A list overnight, while properties in Serilingampally were allegedly removed and later re-entered into the list. He also raised the issue of 500 houses in Ameenpur's KSR Colony being included despite a Supreme Court judgment.

He questioned the government's handling of the issue, pointing to differing statements by Ponguleti Srinivas Reddy and officials over the inclusion of private lands. He asked why Chief Minister A Revanth Reddy had not ordered a CID inquiry despite claims by Minister Komatireddy Venkata Reddy that 40,000 acres in Yadadri Bhongir district had been included in the list.

Sabitha Indra Reddy alleged that the restrictions had a hidden motive and demanded an explanation for how decades-old houses and properties were suddenly included. She said the BRS, under former Chief Minister K Chandrashekhar Rao's leadership, would continue to fight for the victims and expose the reasons behind the restrictions.

Harish Rao and Sabitha Indra Reddy assured the victims that the BRS would fight their grievances inside and outside the Assembly and continue the agitation until justice was delivered.

(Inputs from PTI)
 

0 Comments

Leave a Comment