Bangladesh contemplating to join the Saudi led, Makkah Defence framework

Bangladesh has indicated that it could consider joining the newly formed defence framework between Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Türkiye, with two junior foreign ministers saying any decision would ultimately depend on the country’s national interests.
The comments come just over two weeks after Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Türkiye signed the Makkah Joint Defence Agreement on August 7. Signed in Makkah by Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, the agreement aims to strengthen collective deterrence and defence cooperation. It states that an armed attack against any one of the three countries would be regarded as an attack against all three.
Bangladesh’s newly appointed State Minister for Foreign Affairs, Humayun Kobir, said Dhaka has a positive view of potentially joining an economic or defence framework involving the three countries. He stressed, however, that the decision would be considered in light of Bangladesh’s interests and changing global economic and trade conditions.
Speaking to the Bangla service of Bangladesh Sangbad Sangstha (BSS) on Friday, August 21, Kobir said the government was pursuing a “Bangladesh First” policy, with national interests at the centre of its foreign policy. He also said Dhaka intended to strengthen its bilateral relationship with Pakistan through regular diplomatic engagement, particularly in trade and people-to-people connectivity.
Kobir, who was appointed as the second state minister for foreign affairs on Friday, also said Prime Minister Tarique Rahman is expected to visit Riyadh at the invitation of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. The schedule is expected to be finalized after the summer.
Another State Minister for Foreign Affairs, Shama Obaed Islam, separately reinforced the government’s position. When asked whether Bangladesh would join the trilateral framework, she said the decision would depend primarily on whether membership protected Bangladesh’s interests and those of its people.
The ministers’ comments follow remarks earlier this week by Bangladesh’s finance and planning adviser, Professor Rashed Al Mahmud Titumir, who described the government’s “Bangladesh First” policy as a major shift in the country’s approach to foreign relations.
Titumir said the policy places Bangladesh’s national interest, sovereignty, mutual respect and regional harmony at the centre of its engagement with other countries. He described it as a policy of putting Bangladesh’s interests first while maintaining constructive and mutually beneficial relations with all nations.
The possibility of Bangladesh joining the defence framework comes as the Makkah agreement itself seeks to build closer security cooperation among its three founding members. The countries have described the pact as defensive and aimed at collective security rather than directed against a particular country. Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan has also said the agreement is not aimed at Iran or any other specific nation. (apnews.com)
For now, Bangladesh has not announced a decision to join the pact. The statements from its two state ministers indicate that Dhaka is keeping the option open while assessing the potential impact on its national and economic interests.
(With inputs from PTI)
