Sunday Edition

Obama vows to veto new Iran sanctions

S Rajagopalan

President Barack Obama has bluntly told the Republican-led Congress that he would veto any new sanctions against Iran, insisting that the diplomatic efforts to secure a deal curtailing Tehran’s nuclear programme by July must be allowed to continue. “I will veto a bill that comes to my desk, and I will make this argument to the American people as to why I’m doing so,” Obama said during a joint news conference with visiting British Prime Minister David Cameron on Friday.

“I am asking Congress to hold off because our negotiators, our partners, those are most intimately involved in this assess that it will jeopardise the possibility of providing a diplomatic solution,” Obama said, adding: “There is no good argument for us to undercut, undermine the negotiations until they play out.” Warning of the possibility of a war triggered by new sanctions, Obama urged the lawmakers to “hold off for a few months to see if we have the possibility of solving a big problem without resorting potentially to war”, adding: “I think that’s worth doing.”

Cameron, agreeing with Obama, said that more sanctions at this juncture “would fracture the international unity which has been so valuable in presenting a united front to Iran”. The British leader admitted that he had spoken with a few Senators to make the point that it would be counterproductive to slap newer sanctions in the midst of negotiations.

Even while conceding that the chances of getting a diplomatic deal are “probably less than 50/50”, Obama said: “But if, in fact, we still have an opportunity to get a diplomatic deal that provides us verifiable assurances that they are not developing a nuclear weapon, that is the best possible outcome that we can arrive at right now.”

However, if a deal is not reached, “I would be the first one to come to Congress to say we need to tighten the screws,” Obama said and asked Congress to show patience for now. “Why is it that we would have to take actions that might jeopardise the possibility of getting a deal over the next 60 to 90 daysIJ  What is it precisely that is going to be accomplishedIJ” he asked.