The Resident Welfare Association (RWA) of Defence Colony is collecting `1,000 from every household to raise the penalty imposed by the Supreme Court (SC) for the unauthorised occupation of the Lodhi-era monument, Gumti of Shaikh Ali, for over six decades.
The Supreme Court directed the Defence Colony RWA to pay `40 lakh as compensation for using the historical site as an office.
Resident Welfare Association president Ranjit Singh said, “We are collecting `1,000 from each household to collect the required amount. This is how we plan to pay the penalty once we receive the official notice.”
Following the court’s directive, Resident Welfare Association members and residents immediately stepped forward to contribute, he added. There are over 800 families in Defence Colony, Singh said.
“Some members of Defence Colony Resident Welfare Association are contributing larger amounts, and I am personally adding a significant sum. This is how we are gathering the required penalty amount,” he said.
As of now, they have not received a formal notice from the Supreme Court regarding the payment. However, once they do, they will pay, he said.
Singh also added that the association has vacated the historical site and handed it over to the authorities.
Earlier, the Supreme Court has directed the Defence Colony Resident Welfare Association to pay `40 lakh as compensation for the unauthorised occupation of Lodhi-era monument “Gumti of Shaikh Ali” for over six decades.
A bench of Justices Sudhanshu Dhulia and Ahsanuddin Amanullah refused to waive off the cost and posted the matter for hearing on April 8.
“We think it will be appropriate if compensation of `40 lakh is paid by the Resident Welfare Association (RWA) to the department of archaeology, Delhi government, entrusted with the task of conservation and restoration of the monument,” the bench said.
The Supreme Court had earlier asked the Resident Welfare Association to explain how much costs should be imposed on it for the unauthorised occupation of the monument.
The bench had directed Delhi’s archaeology department to constitute a committee for the restoration of the monument.
The bench previously directed for a “peaceful” handover of the site’s possession to the Land and Development Office.
The bench had passed the order after perusing a report filed by Swapna Liddle, who is ex-convener of the Delhi chapter of the Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage.
The court had appointed Liddle to survey and inspect the building and ascertain the damage caused to the monument and the extent of its restoration.
The bench in November 2024, pulled up the ASI for failing to protect the monument in Defence Colony, with the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) flagging that a Resident Welfare Associationwas using the 15th century structure as its office.