Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann on Monday met the family of Colonel Pushpinder Singh Bath, assuring them that swift action would be taken in the assault case by the evening. In the evening, Chief Minister Mann convened an urgent meeting with senior administrative and police officers to address the growing controversy surrounding the incident. The meeting focused on ensuring accountability, and sources indicated that significant action is expected against the erring police officers involved in the incident.
The family of Colonel Bath, holding on to the assurances given by the Chief Minister during their meeting earlier in the day, expressed their resolve to await the promised action.
Notably, the serving Indian Army Colonel, along with his 22-year-old son Angad, was brutally attacked by a group of Punjab Police personnel in Patiala on the night of March 13-14. The attack, sparked by a parking dispute, has stirred outrage due to the involvement of a senior military officer and the alleged misconduct by police personnel.
In parallel, a Special Investigation Team (SIT) was dispatched to Patiala and started its investigation. Also, the team has issued a public call for any information related to the incident.
Jaswinder Kaur Bath, the wife of Colonel Bath, along with members of an ex-servicemen’s association, met the Chief Minister at his official residence in Chandigarh in the morning. After the meeting, Jaswinder Kaur spoke to the media, expressing her hope and satisfaction with the Chief Minister’s response. She revealed that the Chief Minister had assured them of action by 6 pm and had ordered a meeting of senior administrative and police officers to discuss the matter.
“The Chief Minister told us that this incident was not just about one man but about the dignity of Punjab’s people. He assured us that such a thing should not happen to anyone,” she said.
Meanwhile, the SIT, formed to investigate the assault on Colonel Bath, arrived in Patiala to collect evidence and interview witnesses. The SIT, led by ADGP Amardeep Singh Rai, has called on the public to come forward with any relevant information. The SIT also issued a phone number (7508300342) for individuals to provide leads on the case.
ADGP Rai expressed his dismay over the incident, describing it as unfortunate and emphasizing the importance of both institutions involved — the police and the army. “This incident should not have happened. We are committed to conducting a fair investigation,” he said.
The assault on Colonel Bath and his son by Punjab Police personnel is believed to have occurred over a parking dispute near the Rajindra Hospital in Patiala. The two victims were allegedly attacked with baseball bats and sharp weapons, resulting in significant injuries to both. Colonel Bath sustained a broken arm, while his son suffered severe head injuries. The incident has drawn widespread attention, particularly due to the involvement of a senior army officer and allegations of police misconduct.
The case has been under intense scrutiny, with the SIT formed by the Punjab DGP to ensure a thorough and impartial investigation. The SIT, which initially included top officers such as ADGP SPS Parmar, has been tasked with conducting daily investigations and pursuing legal action against those responsible. The team has already suspended 12 police officers, including inspectors, and transferred them out of Patiala district to maintain fairness. Additionally, departmental proceedings have been initiated for major penalties against the implicated officers.
Despite the formation of the SIT, Colonel Bath's family has expressed skepticism regarding the impartiality of the investigation. They have refused to cooperate with the SIT, citing concerns about potential bias and manipulation of the case. Jaswinder Kaur has called for a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe, citing doubts over the effectiveness of the state police's efforts. On Sunday, the family also met Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, who reassured them that the matter would be handled fairly and justice would be served.
The controversy surrounding the assault has escalated, drawing the attention of the Punjab and Haryana High Court. The court, which had raised concerns about the delay in registering the FIR, demanded detailed responses from the Punjab Government. The next hearing is scheduled for April 3.
In addition to the public outrage and legal proceedings, the SIT has also begun the process of collecting crucial evidence. On Monday, the team seized CCTV footage and relevant documents related to the incident. The footage is set to be sent for forensic analysis to further strengthen the investigation. The SIT has also planned a follow-up visit to Patiala on April 2, 2025, to interview witnesses and gather additional evidence.