US launches online system to seek asylum on Mexican border

| | San Diego (US)
1 2 3 4 5
  • 0

US launches online system to seek asylum on Mexican border

Saturday, 14 January 2023 | AP | San Diego (US)

The Biden administration on Thursday launched an online appointment system as the only way for migrants to get exceptions from pandemic-era limits on asylum — the US government's latest major step in eight days to overhaul border enforcement.

US Customs and Border Protection began allowing migrants to make appointments up to two weeks out using its website and through CBPOne, a mobile app that the agency has used in limited ways since 2020.

CBPOne is replacing an opaque, bewildering patchwork of exemptions to a public health order known as Title 42 under which the government has denied migrants' US and international rights to claim asylum since March 2020. Until now, CBP has arranged exemptions through advocates, churches, attorneys and migrant shelters, without publicly identifying them or saying how many slots were available. The advocates have chosen who gets in, with CBP having final say.

Under the new system, migrants apply directly to the agency and a government official will determine who gets in. Their appointments will be at one of eight crossings — at Brownsville, El Paso, Hidalgo and Laredo in Texas; Nogales, Arizona; and Calexico and San Diego in California. Exemptions for Title 42 are meant to go to the most vulnerable migrants.

Thursday's rollout is separate from measures announced last week to expel migrants from Cuba, Haiti, Nicaragua and Venezuela to Mexico under Title 42 and — at the same time — allow up to 30,000 migrants from those four countries to be admitted to the United States every month under humanitarian parole for two years if they apply online, pay their airfare and provide a financial sponsor.

While the administration previously signalled that it would introduce CBPOne for people seeking asylum at land border crossings with Mexico, the speed of change caught advocates off-guard. “Utter and complete confusion,” said Priscilla Orta, an attorney at Lawyers For Good Government's Project Corazon in Texas' Rio Grande Valley.

US officials told advocates on Friday they expected the app to be ready in a month, Orta said. Then on Monday, advocates were informed the rollout had been moved up to this week.

Trending News

more

State Editions

Verma inspects Wazirabad Water Plant

04 April 2025 | Pioneer News Service | Delhi

Free bus ride only for Delhi women

04 April 2025 | Pioneer News Service | Delhi

Air pollution: Trial for artificial rain in May

04 April 2025 | Pioneer News Service | Delhi

Action against ‘lies’ on power cuts, says Sood

04 April 2025 | Pioneer News Service | Delhi

Over 100 vehicles gutted in Nehru Place, FIR registered

04 April 2025 | Pioneer News Service | Delhi

Verma inspects Wazirabad Water Plant

04 April 2025 | Pioneer News Service | Delhi

Free bus ride only for Delhi women

04 April 2025 | Pioneer News Service | Delhi

Sunday Edition

Guwahati the heart of spiritual charm

30 March 2025 | Abhi Singhal | Agenda

The journey behind the stardom

30 March 2025 | Abhi Singhal | Agenda

For the love of food

30 March 2025 | SAKSHI PRIYA | Agenda

Mango like Never Before!

30 March 2025 | Team Agenda | Agenda

Cool Beverages to Combat the Sweltering Sun

30 March 2025 | Abhi Singhal | Agenda

Rajasthani Traditions with a Modern Touch

30 March 2025 | RUPALI DEAN | Agenda

Guwahati the heart of spiritual charm

30 March 2025 | Abhi Singhal | Agenda

The journey behind the stardom

30 March 2025 | Abhi Singhal | Agenda