The Pioneer
BREAKING NEWS
No breaking news
August 18, 2026

Lalu Prasad calls for Aug 19 march to Lok Bhavan against 'dictatorial' state government

By Press Trust of India
Lalu Prasad calls for Aug 19 march to Lok Bhavan against 'dictatorial' state government

RJD supremo Lalu Prasad on Tuesday, August 18, called for a march to the Lok Bhavan on August 19 against what he termed the "dictatorial attitude" of the state government, alleging that it "responds to democratic demands with bullets from an AK-47," according to a PTI report.

The opposition leader said members of the Mahagathbandhan alliance would participate in the march and submit a memorandum to the governor over the alleged firing of an AK-47 rifle at student protesters in Siwan district last month.

A police constable was suspended after a video purportedly showing him using an AK-47 rifle during a student protest in Bihar's Siwan district on July 25 went viral on social media. The protest had been held against an alleged NEET exam paper leak. Police officers said no one was injured in the firing and that an inquiry had been initiated, noting there were clear instructions to the force not to open fire during the demonstration.

Escalating his attack on the BJP-led state government, Prasad posted on X: "All students and young people are distressed by paper leaks, the deteriorating education system, a biased recruitment process and unemployment."

He added, "Instead of listening to their democratic demands, the arrogant government, built on a system of corruption and exploitation, responds by firing bullets from AK-47s. This is unjust. Everyone should unite in Patna on August 19 against this dictatorship and dictatorial attitude of the state government."

RJD national working president Tejashwi Yadav had earlier told reporters in Patna that Mahagathbandhan leaders would submit a memorandum to the governor over the Siwan incident, alleging that no action had been taken against senior police officials involved.

He said suspending a constable was insufficient and demanded action against the senior official who allegedly ordered the use of the weapon against protesting students.

On July 25, members of Left-wing student organisations staged demonstrations and clashed with police in several districts in support of a Bihar Bandh called against the NEET paper leak and police action on protesting students.

The bandh turned violent in Patna, Saran, Siwan, Aurangabad, Bhagalpur, Sitamarhi, Purnia and Bhojpur, while Samastipur, Nawada, Nalanda, Madhubani and Sheikhpura witnessed milder protests.

Protesters pelted stones and bricks at police personnel at the Dak Bungalow crossing in Patna, following which several students were detained.

(Inputs from PTI)

0 Comments

Leave a Comment