Assam cabs block Meghalaya after Shillong violence

Tensions between Assam and Meghalaya spilled onto the highways for a second day on Friday, with cab operators in Guwahati continuing to block vehicles heading towards Meghalaya following violence during a student rally in Shillong.
The blockade at Jorabat and Khanapara, two major entry points into Meghalaya, has disrupted movement between the neighbouring states, leaving passengers and goods vehicles stranded on either side of the border. Travellers have been forced to switch vehicles at the inter-state boundary to continue their journeys.
The operators said they would maintain the blockade until they received assurances that drivers and vehicles from Assam would be safe while travelling through Meghalaya.
"We will continue this protest till a permanent solution is found. It is a recurring issue of vehicles and drivers from Assam facing harassment in Meghalaya," a cab operator taking part in the protest at Jorabat said.
The protester also questioned whether Thursday's conversation between the chief ministers of the two states had addressed the concerns of transport operators.
"The CMs said they have spoken over the phone. But our fears have not been assuaged. We want safety of our lives and vehicles ensured there," he said.
Another protester accused the Assam government of failing to engage directly with the operators and address their concerns.
"No official has spoken to us and tried to find out what is happening to us," he said.
The tensions followed violence in Shillong on Wednesday during a motorcycle rally organised by the Khasi Students' Union (KSU). Meghalaya Police said at least 31 vehicles were damaged, 16 people were injured and two vehicles were set on fire, with several of the vehicles registered in Assam.
The incident has since raised concerns about the safety of Assam residents and commuters travelling in Meghalaya. Assam Police said it had received reports of people from the state being stranded in Meghalaya and subsequently activated helplines to assist them.
"In view of the prevailing situation in Meghalaya, the Government of Assam, through Assam Police, has activated the following helpline numbers to facilitate assistance to people from Assam who may be stranded in Meghalaya or facing difficulties in movement," the police said in a statement.
People seeking assistance can contact the Assam Police helpline through WhatsApp at 9181014888 or the landline number 03612381511.
The police have also asked relatives and others who know of people or vehicles stranded in Meghalaya to share their details through the helplines so that the information can be coordinated with the Meghalaya administration and police.
Assam Police said the state government was maintaining close coordination with authorities in Meghalaya and appealed to people to remain calm and rely only on verified information.
The blockade has also affected commercial movement between the two states. Protesters said vehicles carrying essential supplies and services were being allowed through, but a large number of passenger and goods vehicles remained affected.
The situation comes a day after Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma and Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma spoke over the phone about the Shillong violence. Both governments agreed to coordinate efforts to restore peace and normal movement between the states.
Sarma said Assam Border Protection Minister Atul Bora had been asked to remain in close touch with Meghalaya authorities and work towards restoring normalcy.
Despite the talks between the two governments, transport operators in Guwahati said they would continue their protest, arguing that assurances alone were not enough and that they wanted concrete measures to protect Assam-registered vehicles and their drivers in Meghalaya.
(With inputs from PTI)
