Jharkhand exam row: Govt cancels 22 tests, orders probe into 23 others

As a 26-day students' protest continues over alleged irregularities in Jharkhand's recruitment exams, the JMM-led government has cancelled 22 tests and ordered a probe into 23 others conducted by the state public service commission and an outsourced agency since 2014.The move has triggered panic among candidates who had already cleared these exams and joined various government departments.
Among the cancelled exams is the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) test, prompting successful candidates to take to the streets.
The decision, announced after a Cabinet meeting on Monday and followed by eight notifications issued late Tuesday night, covers recruitment for several key administrative, technical and judicial posts.
The JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch, which has led the protests at Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium in Ranchi, said it would decide its next course of action soon. Spokesperson Piyush Kumar Singh said the group was awaiting clarity on how the government's decisions would be implemented. "Our meeting is under way," he said.
JLKM leader Devendra Mahto, who ended a 16-day hunger strike after the announcement said he would soon launch a second phase of agitation. He has demanded guarantees that future JPSC and JSSC exams will be "free from paper leaks and other irregularities," along with a monitoring committee and a comprehensive audit of the recruitment process.
The cancelled exams include recruitment for drug inspectors, assistant professors at government engineering and medical colleges, polytechnic lecturers, senior scientific officers, assistant conservators of forests and forest range officers. Also on the list are various editions of the Jharkhand Combined Civil Services Examination, and tests for food safety officers, child development project officers, food analysts, deputy director (prosecution), project managers, factory and boiler inspectors, agriculture officers, geologists, chemists and other administrative and technical posts.
The government said the action was necessary to restore confidence in the recruitment system amid allegations of malpractice.
The move nonetheless drew protests from around 2,000 candidates already appointed to state departments after clearing the JSSC-CGL exam. They marched from the state Secretariat to Birsa Chowk in Ranchi on Tuesday, a day after Chief Minister Hemant Soren announced the cancellation.
The appointed candidates said they were not opposed to an investigation but objected to scrapping the entire exam, arguing that action should target those found guilty rather than candidates who secured appointments through a legitimate process.
"Tell us our crime. Don't throw us out," said Assistant Section Officer Kaushal Kumar, demanding a CBI probe or independent investigation instead of cancellation. Protesters said several had already joined departments including finance, home, road transport, labour, and information and public relations, with some saying they had resigned from other government or public-sector jobs to take up their Jharkhand appointments.
Alongside the cancellations, the government said it would ask the High Court to set up a fast-track court for cases related to alleged JPSC and JSSC irregularities, and proposed internal vigilance cells in both commissions.
A committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal has been formed to recommend reforms to JPSC and JSSC exams and has been asked to submit its report within two months, examining the recruitment process and suggesting measures to prevent paper leaks and other malpractice.
The investigation has also intensified. The Jharkhand CID arrested Sushma Kumari, wife of key accused Abhay Tiwari, along with his brother Akshay Tiwari, after questioning them for several hours. Tiwari, a former TDPL employee posted as a block supply officer in Godda district's Poriyahat, was arrested by the CID on July 22.
Officials said the probe found Tiwari had qualified for around 12 competitive exams over 13 years, including tests conducted by the police, the Navy, the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, the CRPF and Northern Coalfields. Investigators are examining his application forms, documents, evaluation records and selection details.
They said Tiwari told investigators that different "rate charts" were allegedly used for candidates seeking to clear competitive exams, with payments ranging from Rs 2 lakh to Rs 70 lakh, allegations that are part of the ongoing probe and have not been established in court.
The CID also questioned JSSC Secretary Sudhir Gupta for several hours following evidence recovered during a raid on the commission's office. With the latest arrests, the number of people held in the case has risen to 22.
A Congress delegation of ministers and legislators met Soren and welcomed the cancellations, saying the move would protect students seeking fair recruitment. Leader of the Opposition Babulal Marandi, however, accused the JMM-led government of "cheating" protesting students by cancelling exams without accepting their demand for a CBI probe.
(With inputs from PTI)















