Back-channel talks underway on PM Tarique’s visit

India and Bangladesh are engaged in back-channel discussions aimed at finalising a proposed visit to New Delhi by Bangladesh Prime Minister Tarique Rahman, according to people familiar with the developments. The visit, which was tentatively planned for August 23 and 24, was put on hold after the two sides encountered unresolved issues.
The Indian Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) had recently held several meetings with senior Bangladeshi leaders, including Rahman, as New Delhi and Dhaka seek to create conditions for improving bilateral relations.
Asked about Rahman’s proposed visit during a media briefing on Friday, MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal declined to provide details. “I have nothing to say on this matter. If I have any updates, I will share them with you,” Jaiswal said.
The MEA had earlier announced that Rahman was invited to India for bilateral discussions and to participate in the outreach session of the upcoming BRICS summit in New Delhi.
The uncertainty surrounding the visit was also reflected in an official communication from Rashtrapati Bhavan earlier on Friday. The communication, which had referred to the cancellation of Saturday’s Change of Guard ceremony to facilitate a full rehearsal for Rahman’s ceremonial welcome, was subsequently withdrawn.
According to people familiar with the matter, discussions between the two governments remain underway as officials work towards resolving the outstanding issues and determining a fresh schedule for the visit.
Amid the continuing uncertainty, Trivedi met Bangladesh Finance Minister Amir Khosru Mahmud Chowdhury. Their discussions covered bilateral development projects and other matters of mutual interest.
The proposed visit comes against the backdrop of renewed strains in India-Bangladesh relations. New Delhi said earlier this week that it wants to develop “positive and constructive” relations with Dhaka, guided by mutual interests and reciprocity.
Tensions increased after former Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina addressed a virtual media interaction from New Delhi on August 5. Dhaka subsequently renewed its demand for her extradition and sought to connect the issue with Rahman’s prospective visit to India.
India has maintained that it had no role in organising Hasina’s media interaction and did not endorse the remarks made during the event. The Bangladesh Government, however, reacted strongly, saying it was angered that the interaction had been allowed to take place despite Dhaka having communicated its concerns to New Delhi about the possible impact on bilateral relations.
Hasina, 78, has been living in India since August 2024, when she left Bangladesh amid large-scale student-led protests that brought an end to her long tenure in power.
During Friday’s briefing, Jaiswal was also asked about the 1996 Ganga Water Treaty between India and Bangladesh. He noted that the agreement was signed for a 30-year period and said river-related matters between the two countries are addressed through the Joint Rivers Commission.
Jaiswal added that meetings of the Joint Committee established under the Ganga Water Treaty continue to take place at the technical level.
The ongoing diplomatic engagement indicates that both New Delhi and Dhaka are continuing discussions despite recent disagreements, with the timing of Rahman’s India visit still to be settled.















