Ayodhya row: SIT clears Champat Rai, Anil Mishra

The Special Investigation Team (SIT) that examined claims of irregularities in donations to the Ayodhya Ram Temple has cleared the Trust’s former general secretary, Champat Rai, in its first report, according to people familiar with the case. The Uttar Pradesh home department reviewed the findings and sent the report to the Trust for further action.
Sources said the final report does not mention ChampatRai or former trust member Anil Mishra. Both stepped down from the Shri Ram Janmabhoomi Teerth Kshetra Trust on June 27 while the investigation was still underway.
The SIT was formed on June 13 by Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath following the Trust’s request for an inquiry. The three-member team included Lucknow Divisional Commissioner Vijay VishwasPanth, Inspector General of Police Kiran S and Special Secretary (Finance) Neel Ratan Kumar. They were assigned to look into complaints about donation handling and reports of theft.
The SIT submitted its first report to the state government on June 23. Two days later, on June 25, Ayodhya police registered a case based on the findings. Sources said the full report found no reason to name Rai or Mishra in the alleged irregularities. With the home department now sending the report to the Trust, any next steps are up to the temple body.
Officials said the Trust will decide if any internal action is needed after reviewing the SIT’s findings. At the same time, a second Special Investigation Team, working under the Supreme Court’s supervision, is
still looking into the same allegations.
The presence of two investigations shows how sensitive the issue of donation management is at this important religious site.
The Ram temple in Ayodhya was built after a long legal and political process that ended with the 2019 Supreme Court verdict. Since its consecration, it has received large public donations.
Concerns about how these funds were managed led the Trust to ask for an official investigation earlier this year. People following the case said the first SIT’s decision to clear the two former officials does not end the larger inquiry.
The court-supervised second team will look into other aspects of donation collection, record-keeping, and the use of funds.
There is no public timeline for when the investigation will end. Rai and Mishra resigned from the Trust on June 27, a few days after the FIR was filed and while the Government was reviewing the initial findings.
People close to the situation said they stepped down to allow the investigation to continue without any appearance of conflict.
So far, neither has commented on the SIT report’s findings.















